In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Blue Hill, Maine

“the charm of its situation, its sparkling bay..."

Long Island: The Forgotten Community

(Page 3 of 3) Print Version 
Brown & McAllister Granite Quarry, Blue Hill Bay, ca. 1890
Brown & McAllister Granite Quarry, Blue Hill Bay, ca. 1890

Item Contributed by
Jonathan Fisher Memorial, Inc.

However, the largest industry on the island was granite quarrying--reportedly 150 workers were employed at a mine called the Brown & McAllister Mine which was in operation from 1890 to 1898. Most of the laborers were locals but there were also quarrymen from Italy and Scotland. The town grew quickly during this time and there was a large boardinghouse run by Mrs. John Leith for the quarrymen. During this period the town and the post office were named 'Granite.' By 1907 this was changed to 'Seaville.'

At the height of the Long Island settlement near the turn of the last century, besides a post office and a large boardinghouse, there were over one hundred residents, a couple of stores, and even a dance hall.

Mr. and Mrs. Butler's house, Blue Hill, ca. 1890
Mr. and Mrs. Butler's house, Blue Hill, ca. 1890
In the distance one can see boardinghouse for the quarrymen.
Item Contributed by
Jonathan Fisher Memorial, Inc.

By 1920 almost all of the year-round residents had moved off the island and today only the foundation stones and remnants are all that remain of a once thriving community in Blue Hill.